new back

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bread

So, I have made this commitment to regularly post on this blog to fulfill my journal obligation. I am sadly starting to run out of ideas after the first week! I know, pathetic. I know that not many people read this but I thought I would post my recipe for whole wheat bread. I make it twice a week and it only takes an hour from start to finish. I use whole white wheat and I grind it myself. It make 4 large loaves. My kids love it and I feel great feeding it to them. Here it is:

Whole Wheat Bread

6 cups warm water

12-15 cups wheat flour or more

2 TB salt (Real Salt)

¼ cup Lecithin

¼ cup vegetable oil or applesauce

2/3 cup honey or agava

2 ½ TB Dough Enhancer

2 ½ TB Saf Instant yeast

3/4 cup potato flakes (optional, but great!)

Directions:

1. Combine 8 cups flour, 6 cups warm water with dough hook

2. Mix in yeast

3. Add salt, honey, oil, lecithin Turn mixer speed to 1, then two, three, four, adding flour as flour pulls away from the middle (up to 15 cups total) I usually use about 131/2

4. Knead in mixer 7-8 minutes

5. Add dough enhancer

6. knead two more minutes.

7. Cut (don’t pull) dough apart

8. 4 large or 6 small loaf pans

9. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise to double—dough above pan about an inch and a half.

10. 350 degrees 28-38 minutes (180 degrees)

I usually add about 13.5 cups flour total. Depending on your water in your flour you may need more or less flour. I grind white wheat and it tastes great but red wheat or a combination of both works well too!

2 comments:

Darilyn said...

Sweet! I'm glad you posted this.

Gusti said...

WOW your posting again!!!! I can't wait to be able to check up on you and your busyiness. You inspire me. Your bread rocks! Maybe someday I will make it? OK your right, probably not. But maybe I will have Anthony make it.
BTW what are you doing black Friday? I think you should reserve that day with my name on it. YES we are going to be with Anthony's parents for Thanksgiving! Call me so we can make plans!